Thursday, June 4, 2009

Birthday 5k

Yesterday was National Running Day. I've been thinking about running a race for my birthday....my 40th birthday, September 2010. And then I got to thinking that I would really like to run one for my 39th birthday as a way to celebrate my new lifestyle and keep me motivated and on track.

I went to my favorite new blog...Weight Loss with the Fabulous Fatties and Shannon decided that she is running a Utah 5K for her birthday in September! It was like fate....another sign telling me what I need to do for myself.

So....here is my plan. This week, I am going to walk every chance I get working up to 2 miles by Wednesday of next week. Starting Thursday, I will begin the couch to 5k training. I have roughly 13 weeks (based on what race we pick).

I'm so excited to have this race to train for! I love having a goal and a light at the end of the tunnel. And of course that means I need some GEAR!

Sennheiser PMX 80 Sport II Headphones for iPhone and iPod @59.95


Incase Sports Armband iPod nano in Grey/Green $29.95

I need some new shoes too but I need to find a running store so I can get the very best one's for my situation. Plus, I have two different sized feet so I have to save up for 2 pairs of expensive running shoes!

EDITED: I walked for 30 minutes this morning and developed a blister on my right foot. Looks like I will need those shoes sooner than I thought. Oh hubby! I need your credit card!

5 comments:

  1. YEAHH! I did 3-4 weeks of C25K last March and did pretty well. I had hoped to prepare for a 5K in June 2008, but got sidetracked with bad weather and never got back on track.

    Having him coach you during the run is sooo helpful! It's like he knows when you start struggling and he offers motivation at the right moment.

    And, you have two different sized feet? WTH? That sucks having to buy two diffrent sized shoes :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go for it Connie! You can do it and you will feel awesome when it's over :-) I should probably sign up for another one myself, I've been slacking off.

    BTW, don't depend on having music race day - headphones weren't allowed at the one I ran last month & I've since seen others saying the same thing. I know a lot of runners were bummed about that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard that Striders in Layton is a good running store. I started running last year and hurt my ankle, so I've been meaning to get some new shoes. runnersworld.com has great articles for beginners. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you Connie!! I was seriously just looking into signing up for a 5k in September as well!! FATE!!!

    You can do it!! I know you can!!

    Uh, how I'll run without music, uh I don't know. My favorite motivating song right this minute...Fighter by Christina Aguilera...that'll get you moving :)

    I need new shoes, too :)

    xoxo ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so excited for you! I am going to get on the treadmill today for the first time since baby came. I am nervous but so excited to get training for my next race! Signing up is a great motivation tool! And new shoes are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I love getting feedback and making new friends! Your support is much appreciated!