Sunday, June 14, 2009

The Climb

I can't believe I'm about to quote Hanna Montana but....

I can almost see it
That dream I am dreaming
But there's a voice inside my head saying
YOU'LL NEVER REACH IT

Every step I'm taking
Every move I make feels
Lost with no direction
My faith is shaking

But I gotta keep trying
Gotta keep my head held high

Ain't about how fast I get there
Ain't about what's waiting on the other side
It's the climb!

The weekends are hard for me. I just can't keep my routine going when I have grocery shopping and swimming lessons and hair appointments and a husband hanging out. I can't even take my vitamins. What the heck is up with that?

My neck is better...it hurts in the morning when I get up because I can't stop sleeping on my right side. I still haven't scheduled my massage.....

On a positive note....Saturday I found myself all by myself out running errands and decided to stop by a new grocery store that just opened on the other side of town. It is a GREAT store. They have a fabulous deli with a salad bar, hot food bar and other items prepared by a chef. I selected three items to share with my husband and also 3 donuts that we split 4 ways with the kids. It was the perfect amount of food (and treat), I didn't overeat and I was satisfied.

Today, we ended up going to lunch at the last minute. We almost went to Subway but I felt like something different so we went to Rumbi Island Grill. I could have had a rice bowl or a sandwich but I chose a salad and I left the dressing off.


Aloha Chicken Salad....Exotic Field Greens, chicken breast, diced mango, gorgonzola, red pepper, red onion and tortilla strips. It was great!

Rumbi is nice enough to post their nutritional info and this salad (without dressing) comes out to 440 calories, 17 g of fat, 43 carbs, 5 grams of fiber and 31 grams of protein. Not bad....I think I ate less than that because I did not eat the little triangle of flat bread that came with it.

I'm proud of myself for making better choices and eating less but I also realize that many years of bad habits take time to change and trying to force myself to exercise will take more effort. I was really discouraged this week with my neck problem and I get upset that my hips hurt and I hope that these things will get easier as I lose weight. It has to be hard having all this extra weight on my joints.

Tomorrow is a new day and I will be getting up early to walk. Calvin bought me an arm band for my iPhone (not the one I wanted for my iPod) because he wants me to carry my phone incase I run into trouble.

I will be walking Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday this week and then starting the Couch to 5K on Thursday!

Inspirational Song of the Week:




EDITED...6:35am:
I almost didn't go for my walk this morning. My son woke me up twice during the night because his nose hurt. Someone (hubby) forgot to give him his medicine before bed. But I thought about The Climb and I got my shoes on. I decided that I wanted to go a little farther today so I changed my route and got on a road called Fruitland. Once started down this road I couldn't stop! It's a two lane/no sidewalk road and one side is mostly farmland. I saw cows, chickens and a horse and there some people running behind me so I felt like they were chasing me and I couldn't possibly turn around. So I kept walking. I ran a short ways but my knees protested right away...not ready.

I started to feel like I had run away from home because I was so far away. Finally I could see my street across the wheat field and knew I would be home soon. At this point, my legs started to go numb...they were moving but I couldn't feel them. I remembered this happening during the 5K that I walked with Kaycee and Monica and it is such a weird feeling.

I rounded the corner onto my street and I thought my legs were going to fall off! My hips were screaming at me and my ass was dragging. But I did it! 2.5 miles in 45 minutes! That's a mile farther than I was walking last week!

8 comments:

  1. Well done choosing the salad. It looks really good!

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing a great job!

    The salad you ate looks delicious! And with no dressing? That's awesome! I simply LOVE dressing and am slowly trying to ween myself off of it, LoL.

    Congrats on your walk! 2.5 miles, Woooo! Keep up the good work. :)

    Btw, Love the song you posted. It truly is inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never eaten at Rumbi... I'll have to try it. It's hard to find healthy food in normal portions when I'm running errands. You're right about needing to change habits. It's hard.

    RIGHT! ON! I'm so proud of you for getting up even though you were tired [me too this morning - totally sucked] and you moved your body for 45 minutes. Fan-effing-tastic! It will get easier. I promise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know how hard that was to get up and go!!! And I bet you feel like you climbed that mountain...literally :) You are awesome!!!

    Keep on going! I'm so proud of you. I have now gotten shin splints so will be stopping my running for a little while :( Walking will be my new deal!!

    xoxo ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's great. Don't you feel such an accomplished feeling AFTER you've pushed yourself? I always do, and it's worth the push! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel like SUCH a loser for not doing better!

    You are kicking ass and taking names!! I'm so proud of you! I wish I could muster your motivation.

    BTW- I love me some Miley and I make no apologies! I've played her video on your website nonstop since I read your post.

    thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Connie, I love it! I have been using this song for inspiration too! LOL. I am so with you ont he weekends being the hardest. I do great all week, and then screw it up Saturday and Sunday. Proud of you for the salad!!

    Great job on your walk! you have inspired me to get my behind moving today!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you are doing great. Keep it up and maybe we can meet up for a half marathon someday!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I love getting feedback and making new friends! Your support is much appreciated!