Friday, June 5, 2009

If The Shoe Fits....

I was so excited for my husband to get home and dinner to be over last night. I informed him that I was going to run an errand once I cleared the dishes and I ran out the door...so happy for one thing to be leaving the house alone. But also to go do something that was going to put me one step closer to my goal....

RUNNING!

I had looked for a running store on the internet not expecting to find much because my experience with looking for information in Northern Utah has been disappointing to say the least. I found something called Peak Performance which sounded exactly like what I needed.

I was thrilled to find this adorable little running shop right along side the Ogden River Parkway and even more thrilled to meet Anthony Gallegos. I explained that I'm an almost 39 year old Fat Mommy that wants to run and that I have had tons of...let's call them challenges with my knees and hips and blisters and shoes not fitting right and I just really want to stop hurting myself and get in shape and run!

He conducted a couple tests with my feet and legs and determined that I am ARCHLESS and PRONATED. Pronated feet cause the heel bone to angle inward and the arch to collapse. No wonder I have so much trouble. He also informed me that I didn't need TWO pairs of shoes in TWO different sizes. I just need the right shoes that fit my feet properly. Here's the deal....because my feet turn inward when I walk, I need a shoe with stability. The material on the inside base of the shoe is rigid so that it supports my foot and won't turn in. This would also explain why I have so much trouble with my knees...they are also being turned in and I would imagine not rolling on track like they should.

I tried on two different pairs of shoes and ended up with these beauties! They are Saucony Progrid Omni.



After my mile and a half long walk yesterday (with a head wind) my hips were killing me all day. It was all I could do to take my kids to the Air Show Open House at the Ogden Airport and have to walk around. Within a few minutes of walking around the store in these shoes...my hips stopped hurting. I felt like I was walking more level and the shoes were surprisingly light weight.

I can't wait to get out there and start training...as soon as my stupid blister is gone!

If you are in the Northern Utah area stop in and see the guys at Peak Performance. They are located at 1895 Washington Blvd, just north of Downtown Ogden. They also sell walking shoes, children's shoes, shoe inserts, socks and apparel. I am so impressed with what I learned there and so irritated with the lack of knowledge I have experienced in the past at that place that rhymes with *Put Docker*.

9 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing what the right sneakers will do for you? I've got really low arches too and just bought Asics Gel Kahanas, also a stabilizing shoe. In just a few days, they have really improved my running. And my knees feel better! Enjoy your new sneaks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so smart to go somewhere with people who know shoes. I am always buying my shoes at Target and then my feet hurt. How smart to go find out what type of shoe you need to help you achieve your goals.

    Good for you Connie!

    XOXO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Put Docker! HAHAHA!

    You'll be down to 205lbs by June 17th, I just know it!

    OMG- I've probably lost 2 lbs by reading Bitter is the New Black! People at the pool were undoubtedly annoyed by my constant laughing out loud!

    Thanks for turning me onto her.

    Have fun RUNNING! You can do it my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Atta girl! A good pair of properly fitting running shoes are so important. I JUST added this blog to my Reader. I've been ridiculously behind on email/blog stuff. Getting caught up feels good.

    You can easily prepare for a race for your 39th birthday. Let me know what you decide, maybe I can join you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woohoo! I'm so glad your trip to the shoe store was totally worth it, and you only had to buy one pair! I hope your feet are now comfy cozy in proper shoes & that you're that much closer to your goal :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ok
    that's on my list for tomorrow.
    I "want" to start running but my excuse is Im afraid if I really runrun Ill hurt my knees (? irrational? probably).

    Im gonna get fitted for shoes...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, I read this DAYS ago and thought I left a comment. My Bad!

    Yay!! I guess the right shoes really do make a difference!! Such wonderful news! Let's get running, girlfriend! Only 3 mos. until our 5k's

    xoxo ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow... I need to find a shoe store here in Ohio that will fit me to correct shoes. I also have bad knees, I have had 2 knee surgeries in the past 5 years and I'm only 24! Maybe the right pair of tennis shoes will let me go a little longer before another surgery...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I love getting feedback and making new friends! Your support is much appreciated!