Wednesday, January 9, 2013

And So It Begins....

I just found out about a The Biggest Loser Challenge that is being hosted by The Java Mama!  If you're visiting me for the first time and want to learn more about my weight loss journey....click here.

I love finding new blogs to follow and people that are in the same boat as I am. Picture a bunch of us in a boat...eating spinach and quinoa. And doing jumping jacks. You DO NOT want to be the one that falls out of the boat.


  TheJavaMama


 I had my official first meeting with my health coach Leslie Gail today. She came to my apartment and we talked about my goals and we went through my kitchen and looked at labels. She made some recommendations on items that I could replace with something healthier. I've decided that I'd like to try to make some items in my kitchen, so that I know exactly what is in them.

 It's important to me that my kids food have as little chemicals as possible. Basically, if it comes in a box....it's crap! I want to know what they are eating and know that it's good for them.

 I'm still struggling to find vegetables that my son will eat. We tried Red Pepper tonight. He didn't like it but I'll keep trying.

My Goals for January:

  • Lose 6 pounds 
  • No Candy/Cookie/Soda in the house. (if I don't buy them, I can't hide them
  • Begin exercise program (videos on tv) 
  • Make healthier meals. 
  • Keep a food journal 
  • Experiment with making bread, granola bars and spiced nuts. 
  • Find an insulated snack container for my son's backpack snack.


I have to say....I am very excited to get started!  I'm encouraged that with Leslie's support and accountability, I'll reach my goals each month and make real lasting changes in my household.

I'm not just doing this for me and my health....it has to be a family change and effort or we'll just slip back into bad habits again.   I want to see my kids be healthy and make exercise a regular part of their life.  My husband is turing 50 this year and we have kindergarteners.  I want him to meet his grandchildren someday!  I know that's asking for a lot....but I think you should dream big or go home.

Per The Biggest Loser posting for this week....I'm sharing a motivation picture.


This picture is from 10 years ago.  I had just met my husband and I was regularly exercising and eating salad for dinner.  And I had long beautiful blonde hair!  I looked good, I felt good and gal darn it....people liked me.

I want her back.


By the way, Leslie Gail is available for Life/Health coaching and can work with you even if you don't live in Denver.  Contact her here if you're interested.

6 comments:

  1. I'm proud of you for letting her into your house and evaluating your kitchen! I don't think I've have the courage to allow that.

    Your January goals are very reasonable. I posted a few pics of us in our thinner days on the fridge the other day.

    Here's to our health!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you!! Having someone into your kitchen is brave. I am rooting for you. I have started my healthy life kick this week also!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that you entered a challenge. I think you will rock it. I'm looking to make some baked oatmeal bars and will let you know how they turn out.

    Have you tried pureed peppers and onions in your meatloaf or hamburger patties? It's like a full veggie serving in the meat and the acids in the peppers make the meat very tender. Google Alton Brown's meatloaf for a guide.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coming over from the challenge to say hello!

    Congratulations on never giving up. Many people would go through what you have tried and just say screw It i will continue to be unhappy with myself. I know it isn't easy, but you will get there. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck! How is it going this week so far? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just came across your blog from the biggest Loser challenge. I am now a new follower :)

    I just joined the challenge as well. it will be great to connect and support others as well..
    Sounds like you have a great plan in place for January!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I love getting feedback and making new friends! Your support is much appreciated!