Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Week 27: Fighting PMS

This blog post contains spoilers to The Biggest Loser Season 8.

Welcome to the 27 th (completed) week of Extreme Makeover: ME Edition hosted by the incredible Amber Filkins!

Let's weigh-in...

Last Week: 208 pounds
This week: 208 pounds

LOST....0 pounds

TOM is here. But did you notice? No weight gain! A couple months ago, I started taking Evening Primrose Oil along with my vitamin D supplement. I was having such horrible hormone crashes, migraines and food cravings. And it would take me a full week to recover from it. This is unacceptable!

This month...I didn't even realize that TOM was about to arrive and thought I might be pregnant! He quietly showed up without the fanfare of a day ruining headache and I didn't have to hide in the pantry with a bar of baking chocolate.  The real bonus here?  I haven't wanted to kill my husband...yet.

Evening Primrose Oil is rich in gamma-linolenic acid (GLA), which is useful in treating a number of conditions including endometriosis, autoimmune disorders, benign prostatic hypertrophy, eczema, diabetes, and migraines. It helps relieve symptoms such as irritability, bloating, breast soreness, and depression occur before and during menstruation in many women. Clinical studies show that the GLA found in evening primrose oil contains essential fatty acids that seem to alleviate symptoms.

I am taking 3-500 mg pills for the first 2 weeks of my cycle and then 6 pills (3 in the AM and 3 in the PM) for the last half. It's working out great!

Fitness: I ran TWICE last week. YAY!  And I was supposed to run yesterday...but my daughter came down with a fever and I was up all night with her.  So..tomorrow I will be onto Week 1 DAY 3 of Couch to 5K which works out great because then I will be on track with my friend Jessica (who really needs to update her blog...just sayin') who is doing the program too.

This week...Amber wants to talk about The Biggest Loser and how it's inspiring me. Hubby and I have watched this show together for a couple seasons now and I believe that we learn so much from it.  There is always some tidbit of information that we might not have thought of before.  Like what an AHA moment I had last night when Jillian was showing the Brown Team to make a week (or a few days) worth of snacks and line them up in the fridge!  It really only takes 10-15 of prep time to make sure you can grab and go what you need.  I love this idea because I used to rely on those protein bars as a quick on the go snack.  NO MORE!  Next time you go to the store...look at the labels on those.  HIGH FAT and SUGAR!  You might as well eat a candy bar.

This week on The Biggest Loser....I was all kinds of pissed off at Julio.  It didn't look like he was working very hard but then he came through with a 19 pound weight loss and blew everyone out of the water.  He confided that he was working out on his own....and then I understood.  I do the same thing.  This is why I don't join gyms and I run around an unlit track in the pitch blackness of 5am!  Crazy right?

I was so glad to see Tracey back but I'm irritated that they won't tell us what is wrong with her.  She can't work out with everyone else?  WHY! I think she did great even though she was only walking and swimming. Jillian must be right...Calories In...Calories Out!

I loved the conversation between Bob and Jillian about killing Julio and when they were playing tug of war with that big guy (still struggling to learn all of their names) and I cried when Sean found out he was having a baby girl!  I wish they would have Curtis Stone on every week because that man....oh lord was I happy to see him!

The best part of this episode was that everyone (except Julio) worked as a TEAM and lost 155 pounds that week!  No one went home!  I'm really liking Bob and Jullian working as a TEAM also but I know that can't last....

 Coming Next week...progress photo! 

14 comments:

  1. Stumbled upon your blog and I love it! I am on a similar journey...getting back to exercise, eating sensibly and regaining health. You go, girl! will check back next week to see your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there,

    I'm definitely going to get some Evening Primrose oil - thanks for blogging about that. I've had the most horrid week thanks to TOM.

    Mich

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I too am frustrated that they wont tell us whats wrong with Tracey! Maybe in due time?? I was extremely surprised when they actually exceeded the 150 goal! Bob and Jillian didn't think it was possible. Can't wait to see what happens next week.
    ~Karrie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to go through the same stuff with TOM, however, I've switched my BC and I now have the cravings and the fluctuations under control. Again, I love keeping up with your blog, and I greatly appreciate your support over on my blogs :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really need to check into that evening primrose thing! I wonder if it is safe while nursing?

    I have not been able to catch the biggest loser yet this season, sadly.

    I just realized I have only 6 weeks until my half marathon and have not been training at all!! I am freaking out here! Great job on the C25K training.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not gaining during TOM's visit is huge! Somehow I managed to lose while he is visiting me this week, yay! Keep pluggin away girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like reading about TBL but I can't see it here in Holland which I regret.

    Good for you that you went running twice! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 155 POUNDS!! That is incredible! I always cry when I watch BL...happy baby news or not. There is always something that makes me cry.

    So, I'm totally interested in the Evening Prime Rose oil. I'm going to have to buy some and try. I have major mood swings and cravings. Not killing husband...bonus. :)

    You're doing great! Keep up the good work! I'm really hoping to get back to my C25k program this week. The sun is finally back and the rain has let up. We're having perfect running weather! No excuses!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting stuff on the Evening Primrose Oil - I will have to look into that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I fiddle with Evening Primrose Oil too. Try adding 100-200 mg of vitamin B6 with it beginning on day 14 of your cycle [you don't need it on days 1-13]. Seems to really help fight the bitchies. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, I'm just browsing thru your posts - I must get back to Amber's site to check in. Thanks for that tidbit of Evening Primrose Oil - I've seen it mentioned but never knew what it was used for. Good luck with your weight loss.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used to use Evening Primrose as well, but then I went on the pill and it all went away, now that I'm off he pill again, maybe I'll pull it out of the arsenal. Thanks for reminding me!

    I love the Biggest Loser! I love Jillian as well, I've read a couple of her books.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are so brave. To put your weight on your blog. Oh man. I can gush about all sorts of other things, but my weight....good lord. You deserve a medal.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are so brave. To put your weight on your blog. Oh man. I can gush about all sorts of other things, but my weight....good lord. You deserve a medal.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I love getting feedback and making new friends! Your support is much appreciated!