Thursday, August 13, 2009

A New Beginning

When I was a little girl and I thought about having a family of my own; I always dreamt of having a daughter. I couldn't wait to dress her up and do girly things with her. So when I finally started having children and we were blessed with Mallory....I was so happy!

Lately, I'm realizing having this girl in my life is a huge responsibility. In this day and age, Children are bombarded with images on TV, movies and magazines of unrealistic body types and things that want to steal their childhood from them.

I desperately want my daughter to be a child for as long as she possibly can. I want her to love her body and have a healthy self-esteem. In addition to that I also want her to be athletic and never have the weight problems that have plagued me my entire life.

All of this begins with ME!

I was listening to my favorite daily blog talk radio show yesterday and Fiona Bryan (aka Bantering Blonde) was guest hosting for Jen Hinton. The topic of the show was Body Image and we were talking about the Kelly Clarkson SELF magazine cover that was altered to make her appear thinner. We also talked about how we can help our kids have a positive body image and it gave me a lot to think about.

I thought about the example that I'm setting for my children and it occurred to me that I'm not doing a very good job. Ever since they were born (and for many years before) I've been struggling with my weight. I've always been trying to shed some pounds and it has always been hard for me. I grew up with poor eating habits and with someone commenting on my weight and often felt like his love was conditional. If I was heavy...he wouldn't love me as much. Those thoughts are still with me.

When I started this blog...I named it Fat Mommy to Hot Mommy and I was focused on losing weight. This has been my focus for years.....and years. And I have lost weight but it is never permanent because it isn't a lifestyle change. It is always temporary because I'm not focusing on the right things. I realized that I don't want to be a HOT Mommy...I want to be a FIT Mommy!

Because of the connections I've made through this blog and twitter, I've realized that it's more than just losing weight...I want to be healthy and fit. I want to make PERMANENT changes that will have a direct impact on my kids and what they learn from me. I want to stop feeding my feelings and I want to be active and athletic!

One person that has been the biggest inspiration to me is Chris Ross from See Chrisy Run. She has been a runner for years and she recently started training for a series of races in the Utah mountains. Last Saturday, she and her friend (she calls her Supermodel) ran the Jupiter Peak Steeplechase...straight up a mountain! I don't see myself ever doing something like (I'm not that brave) but what touched me, is how proud her boys are of her.


I want to run, bike, ski and play with my kids. I want them to be proud of me and my fitness. I want to keep up with them and to live a very long life so that I can see them become fabulous adults. All of this begins with me....

So the first thing I did was change my blog name to Fat to FIT Mommy.

I have so much to learn and work to do. It's hard to undo damage from your childhood but I'm determined to do it...so that my kids have a better life.

17 comments:

  1. I think you're on the right track, Connie! I think looking good, or "hot" is a by-product of taking care of yourself, or being "fit".

    Your kids already have LOTS to be proud of with you as a mother and role-model. The fact that you want to change your lifestyle for YOU and so that you can be a healthy example for your kids, is wise and loving.

    Because of my kids' health issues, I want them to eat right [indulge moderately], get plenty of fresh air and movement, so THEY can live a long, healthy life.

    Clapping for YOU! XO, Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post!! :D

    All of this does begin with you, and you are WONDERFUL! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Connie! I'm with you on trying to lose the weight to be more fit. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a touching post Connie. You're right...weight loss lasts when we change what's normal (because we can always do what's normal.) And I think it's incredible that you want to do this for your children and yourself.
    Though I'm not a mommy, I did recently become an aunt. And I don't want to be my niece's "fat aunt." I want to be her cool, New York aunt who takes her shopping, sailing and for walks around the city when she visits. :)
    I'm with you Connie...let's keep up our good work..!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post Conny! When reading it I thought to myself: I want that too!

    I want to be fit even though I don't have children but I'm 41 and halfway through my life. I've waisted about 13 years of it being too heavy and not exercising at all or just a little.

    I want to be fit and I want to go out for a long walk or maybe even a run when I'm 75 or older!

    So I'm with you! Let's work together on being fit and I'm sure while we're on that road we will lose weight along the way!

    Thanks for inspiring me Fit Mommy to be!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. you know I love it.
    I adore my daughter and yet am painfully aware DAILY how she looks to me for how to be a woman...and she doesnt even realize that yet.

    yea

    shes 3 and Im already kinda dreading puberty :)

    is that wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post Connie!! I agree whole-heartedly and am in a similar place in my life! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope to be a mommy one day, too. I know my mom blames herself for my battle with weight, but I would never remotely consider her to have anything to do with it (other than genes ;)) You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Connie, I feel as though it were me writing this post. Everything you've touched on is exactly what I've done over the years. I too grew up with someone who called me names my entire life--it's hard to get over such emotional abuse.

    You are a wonderful and beautiful person. We cannot undo the past but we sure as heck change our attitude for the future.

    Even though I've always struggled with my weight, I've always grilled me children about the negative health aspects as a result of it. Our 11yo dd is fit and athletic and could care less about modeling after girls she sees on television and magazine cover. She's never once asked, "Mom, do I need to lose weight?" I wish I could say the same of when I was her age.

    I hope you have a terrific weekend. Your post really touched me today.

    Hugs ~ Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Conny you've inspired me so much with your post that I've linked to it on my blog!

    Thx again

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post Connie!
    I love the name change. In so many ways you are already a "Hot" mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful post. My first time stopping by here I can't wait to come back when I have more time to read older posts.

    I myself have begun to change my lifestyle & it feels great.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it ... and I love you! Why not take it a step further and call yourself FitMommy? Relate to yourself as what you are becoming and that is who you will be - you are a beautiful person inside and out!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You can do it! I creept over that nasty 200 pound mark this summer (again!) and I'm training for my 3rd Half marathon. (I finished 2 of them in the spring around 190ish)

    For me, it's so not about being hot. It's about showing my girls that it's normal to eat fruits and veggies, it's normal to exercise, it's normal to be healthy.

    I've have a horrible relationship with my body since I was 10. I don't want that to happen to my girls.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love your blog. it's my first time here. spotted it via the search engine. i'm a new mommy, and i haven't shred much of my pregnancy weight gain yet. i'd like to be fit, too, and i'm motivated by your story. thanks! God bless...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I love getting feedback and making new friends! Your support is much appreciated!