Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Week 20...Trying Not to Worry

Welcome to the 20th (completed) week of Extreme Makeover: ME Edition hosted by the incredible Amber Filkins!

Let's weigh-in...

Last Week: 209 pounds
This week: 206 pounds

Lost.....3 pounds




HOT DOG!
On Monday, I was all worried that I had thrown away the last 2 and a half months worth of work. I finally got out for a walk and it felt like I was starting over. I have lost my momentum and I'm working to get that back...but it's hard. Especially after yesterday.....

As part of my attempt to take better care of myself I made an appointment to see a Dermatologist to have all of my moles inspected. (they all checked out fine) While I was there I was going to have her look at this spot on my face that I've had for a couple years that is like a dry patch that will never go away no matter how much lotion I put on it. The worried look on her face as she examined it sent chills down my back. She told me that she would be taking a biopsy of it to *see how bad it is*.

I have skin cancer.

I left the office and called my husband from the parking lot and I broke down. How could I have waited so long to have this checked? I racked my brain to think of how long it has actually been there and it's been at least 2 years...and it's grown. I spent the day trying not to think about it but the word cancer kept creeping into my thoughts. And of course I googled skin cancer which was a bad idea. I won't know anything for three weeks (sooner if it's REALLY bad) so I'm going to try not to worry...but it's hard.

In the back on my mind I knew this day was coming. I grew up with a Mom that taught me to suntan with baby oil and we never used sunscreen when we were out on the boat. As an adult, I had what they call Tanarexia....I frequented the tanning salon several days a week and bought lotions to make me darker! I'm happy to say that I haven't done any of that in six years but the damage has been done.

Plan for Week 21:
Wednesday~ Sadie Nardini Yoga DVD
Thursday~ AM Run
Friday~AM Run
Saturday~OFF
Sunday~Hike
Monday~Sadie Nardini Yoga DVD
Tuesday~AM Run


20 comments:

  1. Oh, Connie!!! I am going to pray for you right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How scary, you'll be in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am praying for you too. I hope you can not stress over it too much while waiting, easier said than done. At least you went now and not even further in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Connie,

    I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Keep your head up though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh!!! I'm so sorry you have to deal with this scary situation. I'll keep you in my thoughts. Keep us posted on what you find out!

    Stopping over from EM:ME :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Conny, try not to worry too much. I know it's easier said than done but when it's bad, there's time enough to worry.

    I pray and hope that the spot is going to be okay and you're allright!

    If you want to talk or something let me know! I'll give you my email address.

    A big hug for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. First, congratulations on the weight loss! Yay, you!

    Second, Chris has had both basal and squamous cell carcinomas [skin cancers] over the years. Several of each. Please don't be alarmed. They'll remove it, even if it's on your face, they can do it without leaving scars, and you'll be fine. Keep wearing sunscreen and getting checked by your dermatologist. It's likely more will pop up in this life, but it's so treatable [assuming it's not melanoma, which is unlikely].

    You're gonna be okay. Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the weight loss! I am so proud of you. It has been fun going to site and seeing your success!!

    You are in my prayers. My grandpa had skin cancer, and has now been cancer free for many years. I pray that you can tackle it and it will stay away!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Connie -
    3 pounds is awesome. Good for you! How is your face? Is it feeling better. Sending good thoughts and prayers your way!

    XOXO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  10. ((((((Connie)))))), I'll think positive thoughts about you everyday. Please don't use GSD (Google Self-Diagnosis) anymore while you're waiting for the results, worrying will eat away at you and your body does not need that now.

    We're all here for you--congratulations on ridding yourself of three pounds!

    ~ Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Connie - I will definitely be praying for you, for healing, and especially that God would give you peace while you wait. You are doing so many good things for your body right now - keep focusing on the positive and all your great success - especially the 3 lbs.

    God bless you!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are in my thoughts. I hope the time goes by quickly to ease your mind.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's wonderful news about the 3 lbs.!! Try not to worry too much about the skin cancer. Can't do anything more than what you're already doing.

    I think CSquaredPlus3 has some great advice!

    Praying for you!!

    xoxo ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Connie, I'll be thinking of you and keeping you in my thoughts. And most definitely try not to think too much about it BUT easier said than done.

    Congrats on the weight loss. Woohoo!! And I lurrrv your exercise plan. Keep at it.

    Have a super weekend.

    Mich

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hai Conny,

    Wondering if you're okay.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm just getting here now to read this ... I know the weight has to really suck but good for you for getting back to it with exercise. It is hard when you lose momentum but just getting out and moving can often make the difference!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Connie - YEAH for the 3 pounds!

    I know it's hard... but maybe you can try to stay motivated towards your goals to keep your mind off of it.

    I'll be praying for you and that you feel some peace in your heart while waiting for the results... and of course that when you get them - it's all good! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Connie, I am SO sorry! Equally sorry that I haven't even read this post until today. I feel awful.

    I will saying lots of prayers for you. My grandfather has had skin cancer several times on his face. He goes in, they take it out, and he's good. And I'm sure they'll keep a very close eye on you from now on, which can bring a little comfort.

    Isn't insane some of the things that we did when we didn't know any better?? I also did the baby oil thing, but thankfully not too much. I also did the tanning bed, and I'm hoping & praying the effects weren't bad enough. Ya know?

    Praying for you girl.

    Congrats on the loss though!! That is so encouraging!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cool post very informative. I just found your blog and read through a few posts although this is my first comment, i'll be including it in my favorites and visit again for sure.
    Plastic Surgeon

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I love getting feedback and making new friends! Your support is much appreciated!