Friday, November 13, 2009

10 Reasons Exercise makes you Skinny!

 I've made a decision to exercise (and shower) in the mornings before my husband leaves for work.  It's gonna be a tight schedule but I can do it.  I felt so good after I did it this morning.  And this article got me motivated.

This information is from  Fitness Magazine's website.  10 reasons why Exercise will make me SKINNY!


1. Exercise zaps belly fat.
It's the easiest way to beat the bulge, period. "Regular moderate- to high-intensity aerobic exercise has the greatest impact on reducing ab fat -- the dangerous fat that ups your risk of diabetes and heart disease,"  Exercise is the ultimate middle manager because it lowers levels of cortisol, a hormone that has been linked to ab fat.

2. Exercise controls calories.
"It's pretty simple: You need to burn more calories than you consume in order to lose weight," says Nancy Snyderman, MD, a FITNESS advisory board member, editor-in-chief of BeWell.com, and chief medical editor for NBC news. Regular exercise blasts excess calories that would otherwise be stored as fat. "Plus, you continue to burn calories even in the hours following your workout,"

3. Exercise keeps lost pounds MIA.
"Ninety percent of people who have successfully lost weight and kept it off for a year do about an hour of physical activity a day,"

4. Exercise boosts metabolism.
Yes, you'll lose fat when you diet without exercising, but you'll also lose muscle, which means you'll burn fewer calories. The more muscle you have, the higher your metabolism and the more calories you'll torch.

5. Exercise trims inches.
The number on the scale doesn't tell the whole truth, says FITNESS advisory board member Jari Love, a certified personal trainer and fitness DVD star: "When you shed fat and gain muscle you may lose inches and drop sizes without losing actual pounds." For instance, if you gain 3 pounds of lean muscle and lose 4 pounds of fat, you've actually experienced a 7-pound improvement in your body condition, despite the scale only showing 1 pound of weight loss.

6. Exercise curbs emotional eating.
"Working out has been proven time and time again to help regulate mood, which has a direct effect on people who eat when they're stressed or upset," says Robert E. Thayer, PhD, a professor of psychology at California State University, Long Beach. Translation: When you're already in your happy place you don't need Ben & Jerry to lead the way.

7. Exercise creates a healthy chain reaction.
There's a reason you find juice bars at the gym: "Healthy habits tend to cluster together," says Boston-based psychologist Eric Endlich, PhD. "When people make positive changes, like getting more exercise, they tend to work on other health improvements as well, such as eating better." The result? Weight loss.

8. Exercise brings on the fun.
Let's face it: Rock-climbing is way more exciting than eating a celery stick. That's why it's easier to be active to stay slim than to maintain a strict diet. "If you look at people who incorporate exercise successfully in their lives, they've found something they truly enjoy,"

9. Exercise stops hunger.
People who exercise and diet are actually less hungry than those who only diet, according to a study in the journal Obesity. Bonus: Your self-restraint is higher, too.

10. Exercise ups energy.
Regular physical activity increases stamina by boosting the body's production of energy-promoting neurotransmitters, studies show. That pep gives you even more motivation to get moving and shed pounds. When was the last time diet alone did all that?

So, the bottom line is....I just have to DO IT!

4 comments:

  1. Once I get into the routine of exercise, I kind of like it... BUT I feel like it takes over my life. Like I have to plan EVERYTHING around when I workout. Getting motivated is the hardest part.

    I totally hear you with the showering first thing, if you do it early you feel SO much better and more motivated. I spend way too many days showering at 2pm and getting nothing done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I've put on a few pounds the past few weeks. Probably just letting go a little bit from my summer races, but I still exercise because it's truly like a Prozac for me. I only lose weight when I change what and how much I'm eating. Exercise is important for weight loss, but the mental health benefit is what keeps me in the game. Do it, gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good motivation. I must start exercising unless I want to continue to gain/lose the same 5lbs all of next year too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dangerous fat that ups your risk of diabetes and heart disease," Exercise is the ultimate middle manager because it lowers levels of cortisol, a hormone that has been linked to ab fat. www.rx247.net/acyclovir.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I love getting feedback and making new friends! Your support is much appreciated!