Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Week Five...Injuries Suck

Welcome to the Fifth (completed) week of Extreme Makeover: ME Edition hosted by the incredible Amber Filkins!

Let's weigh-in...

Last week: 215 pounds
This week: 212pounds

LOST.....3 pounds

I'm disappointed. I was hoping that all of that 4 pound gain from last week was all water weight and I would be back to 211 today. I ate much better! How can all of this salad be turning to fat?

The Plan from last week
:

I worked out 3 times. Still having issues with my stupid knee so I bought a Ace Brace for it but my knee is so fat that it cuts the circulation off to my leg. I totally understand that my knee is mad at me for putting so much weight and pressure on it but DOOD...I'm trying to do something about it! It's like a catch 22. I need to lose weight, but I can't move as much as I'd like so that I can lose weight. I'm getting really good at the Bend and Snap and we are eating a lot more veggies and salad. I did drink wine. But now it's gone and I'm not going to buy anymore. I did find out why my brother in law is losing 5 lbs a week. Check out his sample meal for a day.
Breakfast Whey Protein Shake 110 Calories
Snack 3 Kiwi's 108 Calories
Lunch Cabbage Soup 77 Calories
Snack Asparagus (2 Cups) 79 Calories
Dinner Whey Protein Shake 110 Calories
That's ONLY 484 calories!

The Plan for Week Six:
Exercise 4 times
Drink More Water
Drink less Soda
No Booze
More Veggies
Meditate for 10 minutes each day
I have a application on my iPhone for meditating and they have a couple choices...one helps you fall asleep, one for chilling out and one for emotional eating. I am going to test drive a couple of these and see if they can help me relax.

I am struggling to get my workouts done because of a recent development in our house. My little boy...has learned to climb out of his crib and is waking up at 6:30 am each day. I normally get up at 5:30am, exercise then shower and get dressed. He is messing up my routine because I am usually just finishing my work out when he wakes up and needs me. He also has decided that he doesn't need a nap and when I try to put him down...he climbs out. Nap time is when I relax, finish household chores and read. I am going to have to find a way to fit my exercise in this time too. I'll let you know how it goes...

Question of the Week: Share with us a healthy recipe.

I made this last week for Earth Day and it was a huge hit with hubby and the kids. We will be making this all summer! I used my new favorite dressing on the salad and it went great with the apples and pecans. Here are all of the recipes I have labeled HEALTHY on my Food Blog.


Grilled Chicken and Fruit Kabobs

1 cup lemon juice
2 (8 ounce) cans pineapple chunks, juice reserved
salt and pepper to taste
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cubed
1 cup butter, melted
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
24 large strawberries
In a flat glass container mix together the lemon juice, juice from pineapple can, salt, pepper and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Add cubed chicken and marinate for 1 hour in the refrigerator.

Preheat grill to medium heat.

In a bowl mix together the melted butter, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, brown sugar and nutmeg.

Spray Pam on the grill grate. Using soaked wooden skewers arrange chicken, pineapple chunks and whole strawberries on each stick. Brush kabobs with butter mix and place on grill and cook, turning, until chicken is cooked through and strawberries are sizzling. Approximately 8 to 10 minutes.

Greens and Apple Salad
6 ounces pecans, coarsely chopped
1½ pounds mixed greens
3 Gala apples, coarsely chopped or sliced
1 red onion, coarsely chopped
Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Toast pecans on baking sheet 5 minutes, until lightly toasted.

In large serving bowl combine greens, pecans, apples and red onion. Toss to combine.

recipes adapted from Kaboose.com


As promised...here is my *before* picture. I tired to pick an outfit that I could wear for every picture and I'm surprised at what I look like. When I look in the mirror...I don't think I look this big (do I have fatarexia) and I hope that isn't the expression that's on my face all the time....I thought I was smiling. And one of my legs is obviously shorter than the other.....

picture for my fridge


Have a great week!

14 comments:

  1. Girl-you are cute as button!! I love seeing your face-you look determined. I suffer from fatarexia also....I have never seen that fat girl in my mirror and I try hard not to call myself that when I do see myself. The chicken kabobs look great I will be trying those. I know how injuries suck, I think my weight gain was from all the Easter candy and this week I threw it out! And, I loved your use of the word DOOD....I could hear your voice in my head as I was reading. Keep up the healthy eating and exercise when you can....we will reach our goal! (sorry this was so long)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are adorable! :) And can I just say that pictures always make us look bigger. We just had our pictures done as a family and I just stared at them with my face all scrunched up. Um, please tell me I don't really look like that! Anyway, YAY for the three pound loss, and I'm sorry, but your brother-in-law's meal plan looks BO-RING! Your chicken kabobs, on the other hand, mmmmmm scrumptious!

    Here's to a great next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love "fatorexia." Never heard that one before. All progress is good - so don't let impatience or frustration get to you.

    Go Connie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey way to go to be down 3 pounds!!! That is awesome! You'll get there. You are adorable, and I love reading your posts. Don't get discouraged, you can do this. Thanks for the recipes...looks sooo yummy! Love "fatorexia" I will use that often!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Connie - you are so cute. Don't beat yourself up. You are making progress. And even if you don't lose weight every week, you are getting fitter.

    You are very inspirational to me. I love coming over to see what's going on with you. I love that you keep it real too.

    Your recipes look delicious! I will have to try those out.

    And for your brother in-law's diet - that is crazy! I would be gnawing off my foot... Although I have some friends on that HCG diet and they have to eat less than 500 calories per day for 30 days.

    Keep up the great work adorable girl!

    XOOX
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Connie, LOL. I looked at the picture before reading the post and I thought "Wow, she's cute." Then I read your critique and it made me laugh.

    Don't be so hard on yourself. You are doing great.

    My oldest used to interrupt my workouts (when I used to work out haha ) and I would just set him up in my bed with some cartoons and a book so I could shower.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW Connie! 3 lbs. is awesome. I know you were hoping for 4 but 3 is REALLY GOOD!!

    You need a CRIB TENT!!! It's a tent that goes over the crib. It zips up so the little ones can't get out. I don't know what I would've done without it. All 3 of my kids used them. They run about $60+ but they're soooooo worth it. If I didn't have one now my 2 year old would be in a big girl bed. I shudder to think.

    Keep up the great work Connie!

    Much love from NJ,
    Sue
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. For what it's worth...I think you're totally cute!

    It's so crappy to try to fit in excercise around kid's changing routines! But I know you'll get it!

    Before I got pregnant and fat again, I used to jog 5 miles each day. (SO could not do that now!). I would have problems with my knees sometimes, and If I wrapped my knee in an ace bandage just while I was exercising, it gave it that extra support that helped me get through the workout without pain! I hope you find something that will work for you!

    The recipes sounds delish, and I'm definitely adding them to my collection!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fatarexia - you have coined a new word. That dinner looks delicious! And don't beat yourself up, just keep at it. I completely relate to the boy messing up your routine, that will be a hard adjustment, esp. if you still have a napper in the house. and I find that alcohol really adds water weight to me, so maybe next week will be better.
    Hugs!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is awesome about losing the 3 lbs!!!!!!

    Man all these photos are nice....makes me hungry for some GOOD food!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LMBO at Fatorexia!! I agree about the crib tent. Great job this week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I Love Chix with fruit.. it's SO SO GOOD!

    And you should be proud of 3 lbs. You are doing a great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fatarexia!? that's hilarious!!

    Congrats on the loss! 3 pounds is excellent!!

    That recipe looks yummy. I've had this post open since yesterday, and just realized that I didn't comment. I think I was distracted by the yummy recipe. :)

    Have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. 3 lbs lost!! Be proud :)

    And that recipe looks fabulous. Craig and I will enjoy it this week fo-sho.

    You can do this!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I love getting feedback and making new friends! Your support is much appreciated!