Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Slow Carb Diet

Before I tell you about my new diet plan....I have to tell you about what I did yesterday!

I RAN!!

After watching Jackie Warner on THINtervention...I was motivated to push myself and I also just read that doing intervals is very helpful for fat loss.  So....I walked/ran/walked/ran and I was doing 14.33 minute miles!!   I felt so great when I got home!

Last week, my friend Jen at Harried Mom of Four told me about a diet that she was getting ready to try.  It sounded very interesting and worth trying out.  I found more info about it on FitnessMagazine.com and I really thought it could work for me.

Basically....it's a low-glycemic diet, high in good carbs like vegetables, whole grains and legumes. Foods with a GI (glycemic index) lower than 55 raise blood sugar in small amounts and are digested slowly.   Eating low GI foods can also lower insulin production and keep you from experiencing low blood sugar.  I'm forcing my husband on this plan also because he's a type 2 diabetic and I'm interested to see what this does to his blood sugar levels.

My version of this plan is.... with each meal eat:

1 serving of legumes (black, kidney, pinto or chick pea beans)
1 serving of protein (chicken, pork, beef, eggs or fish)
1 serving of vegetables (salad, carrots, celery, tomato, radish or avocado)

Lots of water with lemon
One glass of wine a day! 


One cheat day a week!

I've been on this plan for 1.5 days and I've already lost half a pound.  I'm not hungry and I love what I'm eating.  I am going through a little bit of sugar

You can also have bread and cereal and rice on this plan....you just need to know which ones to eat.  Here is a list of foods and their glycemic number.

Here is what I ate yesterday

Breakfast:
2 eggs w/ fresh roasted hatch green chilies.
1/2 cup black beans
1 small tomato
Coffee with half and half

Lunch:
3 tbsp of Red Pepper Hummus
3/4 cup of baby carrots
10 whole wheat crackers
Sprite Zero

Snack:
Almonds
Peanut M&M's

Dinner:

3 oz of taco meat
1/2 cup refried beans
Fresh Roasted Hatch Green Chilies
1 tbsp cheddar cheese
2 tbsp light sour cream
1 Bud Light with Lime

6 comments:

  1. Connie I'm so glad this is working for you! I have to say - I ate a cupcake today :( Which has thrown off my calorie count for the day - so now I need to walk farther than I was planning :)

    I started this just about one week ago and my weight is down 3 lbs - although some of that - probably 2 lbs! was water weight. I'm encouraged to stick with it, b/c as you said, I'm not HUNGRY. I think the beans are the trick.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you are liking this so far - sounds like you are not skimping on any food groups either (at least not the healthy ones). Great job on your run!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Food looks delicious. I've looked into a GI diet too once but I didn't follow it so am interested how this is going to work for you.

    Well done: you're a runner girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry I've been "away", my friend. Sounds like you have a good plan, and OMG, you ran! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woohoo!! Definitely looks good :-))

    Also following a low GI diet and thoroughly enjoying it - and it's working.

    Well done on the run.

    Have a super weekend.

    Mich

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I love getting feedback and making new friends! Your support is much appreciated!