Wednesday, December 9, 2009

No Gym for Old Men

I'm frustrated.

Hubby has decided that we can't afford to join the gym.  *Sigh*

I was really looking forward to us doing this together.  Supporting and motivating each other.  Holding each other accountable.

He keeps saying that he needs to *do something* but something never happens.  And then on Monday, we went in for our flu shots and he had his blood pressure checked.  It was high.  High enough that the doctor was concerned.

We do have the gym equipment in our basement....an elliptical and a weight machine.  But we can't use them at the same time.

My thought was if we committed to working out at the gym, making appointments to do it....we would be successful.  My concern is if we just decide to use our home gym...it's too easy to let the pull of the TV and the kids keep us from working out.

Do you have any tips for me?  On how to motivate my husband? 

Because of this development...I made a plan for myself.  I'm going to work out in the mornings, before my husband leaves for work.  If I do it first thing and get it over with...I don't have an excuse.

I was so motivated this week by MizFit and her mantra of home is where the health is.  It's looking like I don't have a choice but to make this MY mantra.

Work out in my home gym 5 days a week.

No fast food (except Subway).

Quit the soda again......

No Sweets in the house. (this is hubby's new rule)

Less TV ...more reading
Shut Computer Off at 6pm

The Biggest Loser Season 8

I watched the finale with my husband and sister last night and we were so excited that  Danny Cahill won.  I had a crush on Rudy...and would have been equally happy if he had won. 



I was amazed how well many of the contestants did.  I was blown away by Tracey and Rebekka.  And I actually thought they looked a little too thin.

What did you think?  Are you happy with the winner?  Are you excited for the next installment that begins on Jan 5?

11 comments:

  1. Get a TV down there where the equipment is and work out together. You do ten minutes of elliptical while he does ten minutes of weights, then switch back and forth a couple of times. You could also get a few DVDs if you have the floor space to dance around. I swear if you two started doing Zumba together y'all would laugh so hard his blood pressure would be down in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay...so it's 6:10pm and I haven't shut my computer off yet. I guess I'll start that tomorrow.

    That is great idea Barb! I think we could make that work.

    I'll talk to hubby about it when he finally gets home from work tonight.

    My next problem: dinners. Coming to a blog near you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Luck with your goals Connie!!
    We cant afford the gym either, I also was hopeful, but oh well, I wil lkeep working at home

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the same issues with the gym :-( I want to join so badly, but we just don't have the money. You are lucky to have some equipment at home. But, like you, I'd probably make excuses to not use it, too. I think the tv idea is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have two issues with the gym...too expensive...and the closest one is 30 miles a day which then adds fuel to the cost.

    I have a treadmill and ab lounge and hand weights. My treadmill is directed towards the tv because it helps pass the time when I get on it. My hubs is fit and trim but he will still come and keep me company if I want him too. On the weekends we go for walks or hikes as a family, youngest in a backpack and the oldest walking along.

    I thought those two girls were too skinny too! Just doesnt seem right that they could get that thin and have no elastic skin when losing weight so quickly

    ReplyDelete
  6. The biggest changes I saw taking place with my body were not from going to gym but heading outdoors and cycling. I love going to gym but I'm finding it harder to get there. I'd much rather be cycling but hubby won't let me out on the road alone :-(( and our cycling season is over until end Jan. **sigh** I have joined a cycling club where there are group rides and will be joining them as soon as I get to a speed I'm comfortable with. :-))

    You have been given some great ideas. I think giving Zumba a go would be FUN. I've all but given that idea here as our instructors just don't seem to be sticking to true Zumba :-(( Time to get the DVD me thinks.

    We're able to get gym memberships for practically nothing here due to our medical aid insurance companies. They're big on promoting healthy living.

    With some discipline I believe you can do this at home. :-)) If I had the equipment at home I'd be working out at home more often :-))

    Good Luck!!

    Mich

    ReplyDelete
  7. Best of luck Connie...I know you can do it! Do like Nike says...JUST DO IT!!

    I prefer to work out at home, except a neighbor of mine holds me accountable and we head to the local rec center together to work out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the tip of fit mommy is a good one!

    And go outside when you can only if it's just for walking.

    I'm shutting down my laptop at 9.30 pm lately so I have at least an hour to read something or watch some tv. I could stay online all night but I sleep better if I do it this way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I cannot wait for the next BL to start!!!! Amanda looked fantastic but, since I missed the actual episode I didn't get to see Tracey. I do have to say that I prefered Rebecca as a brunette! I'm very glad Danny won! He was such an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rebecca is better as a brunette and Amanda did not look like 250k was on the line...just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
  11. As one of those "hubbys", the best advice I can give you to motivate him is to keep on getting health for yourself. You keep making progress and when he is ready, not only will he join you, he'll probably suddenly find it financially feasible to join the gym.

    While we'd like to think that our married lives ensure the kind of partnership that we'd like, when it comes to getting healthy, it becomes extremely personal and individual.

    Let him know that you support him whether he does anything or not, but also let him know that you are going to continue to better your health.

    He'll come along...trust me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I love getting feedback and making new friends! Your support is much appreciated!