Friday, December 11, 2009

Why Are You Fat? Part 2

I'm interrupting our regularly scheduled Friday Fashion Motivation for a very important message. 

I'm recently made a vow to stop eating all fast food (except Subway) because of the horrible fat and calories that the food contains.  It's not good for me OR my kids so I'm not going to eat it anymore.

I hadn't given much thought to regular sit-down restaurant food...since we don't go to those places much anymore.  But after reading Christy's post about the way restaurants are preparing food...I have to extend my ban to them too.  Go read Christy's post.  It's eye opening!

When we do eat out with the kids....it's generally Chili's or Red Robin.  I went to their websites and checked out the nutritional info and about fell out of my chair.

Cajun Chicken Pasta
1340   Calories
68 g    Fat
37 g    Sat Fat
106 g  Carbs
67 g    Protein

This is my favorite meal....and I usually eat half and bring the other half home....but still.

My kids meals from Chili's made me sad.  Sad that I'm feeding them this food and isn't good for them.

Kid's Pizza 
560    Calories
24 g    Fat
9 g      Sat Fat
67 g    Carbs
23  g   Protein


Kid's Mac and Cheese
500     Calories
18 g    Fat
6 g      Sat Fat
69 g    Carbs
16 g    Protein


We love Red Robin because they are child friendly!  My kids have never had a melt down in this restaurant....and I think it's because they're in a fat coma while we're there.




 

What Mama likes.  Oh My Heck!
 


I know lots of people that eat out a couple times a week because they don't like to cook but this is KILLING us people!  Christy suggested that if you eat at these places on a regular basis...you start to crave the extra fat and their food.  And I think she's right!


When we've had a bad week and have found ourselves eating a lot of fast food and at restaurants, or when we're on vacation....we crave this food when we get home.


I'm putting a stop to this right now!  At the very least...when you go to restaurants...ask for the nutritional information so that you can made an INFORMED choice for you and your family. And if they don't provide it...make a stink!

7 comments:

  1. HOLY MOLEY! I am in complete and utter SHOCK! We eat at Red Robin all the time! Thanks for this informative post!

    Because of budget reasons we've put a stop to going out to eat but I can tell you now that we'll contiune our "fast food fast" for health reasons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my. Those are some loaded meals. When I am dieting I like places like Applebee's that have a Weight Watcher's menu.

    And I am convinced that mac and cheese is one of the least nutritious meals no matter where it comes from. I hardly make it anymore, much to my husband and son's chagrin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for helping to spread the word. Let's show these chains the power of negative viral marketing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Great information! I guess I should be happy we rarely eat out now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, Red Robing is THE worst. Absolutely. Hands down. EVERY thing on their menu is SOOOO high in calories and fat. You basically can't really eat there if you're watching your calories. It's awful. But I do love their food. :) BBQ Chicken Wrap with fries for me baby. Dip the fries in ketchup, then dip it in ranch. Um, yumm. But oh so bad!!!

    We eat out far too often. Also, I was really trying to lose weight, but lately, it's just horrible. I'm so discouraged. And my butt is fat. And my love handles are not very loving. And my middle is too thick. And my arms are a little too Oprah-ish. Maybe if I quit eating Carl's Jr, McDonald's and french fries, it would help. :/

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so right. I have given up most any fast food except Subway as well. I did recently eat at a Denny's; however, and they have added an impressive number of healthy options for their breakfast. See my blog for the summary...

    kgershman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's horrible, isn't it? I make a point to check out menus online ahead of time before I order so I can plan it out. BTW, Olive Garden's Venetian Apricot Chicken is delicious (for chicken, anyway) and you can eat the WHOLE PLATE for under 400 calories. Just don't touch the breadsticks :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I love getting feedback and making new friends! Your support is much appreciated!