Thursday, December 31, 2009

Day 6: My Food Boyfriend

Today's Weight:  205.6
Yesterday's:        206.6
LOSS:                  1 pound

Total Loss:          7 pounds

When it's good, then it's good, it's so good til it goes bad
Til you're trying to find the one that you once had
I have heard myself cry 'never again'
Broken down in agony, just tryin' find a friend, oh oh


I'm safe up high, nothing can touch me
But why do I feel this party's over?
No pain inside, you're like perfection
But how do I feel this good sober?


I've often compared my relationship with food as a bad boyfriend that I just can't leave.  I know he's bad for me and I try to quit, and I do for a little while and then I start meeting him in secret places for a rendezvous.   I kind of feel like I'm in food rehab right now and my boyfriend is outside waiting for a chance to meet with me.  Oh, and he talks to me through the TV.

I feel like i'm really ready to break up with my food boyfriend and only see him occasionally.  He can't be a regular part of my life anymore.  And my husband can't see him anymore either.  This threesome is over.

I have to tell you...I've been pinning a little bit for the foods that I probably shouldn't have anymore.  Remember that Mushroom Burger from Red Robin that I talked about a few weeks ago?  I'm trying to figure out if there is any place in my life for that stuff anymore or if I should never eat it again.

The thing is...I don't want to be a healthy food nut.  I still want to enjoy a glass of wine, pizza and going out to eat.  I love food!  But I also think perhaps....these things should be the exception and not the rule.


10 comments:

  1. I think the more a person says, "I'm "never" going to eat such and such again, the more attractive that food becomes.

    There is room for delicious stuff on occasion but maybe it should be a once a month thing instead of a once a week thing. It can take all week to make up for the damage one good night out can cause.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that analogy to an old boyfriend is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post...and don't think I didn't notice another pound lost...woohoo!

    How about cheating on your boyfriend with healthy food? Perhaps a new vice in cheating on the bad food would be a new motivator...bad girl! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a bad, bad girl.

    Why does cheating on my boyfriend with carrot sticks sound very exciting? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's not about giving up your favorite foods (well, unless you develop an allergy or something). It's about finding tasty alternatives.

    My husband is thin -- has always been thin. He is being uber-supportive about mainly eating what I eat on my very restrictive diet. Well, I've discovered something that the loves -- homemade mushroom swiss burgers. If I leave off the swiss and bun, I can eat them, too.

    Start with under 10% fat ground beef. If your butcher will ground sirloin for you, you can get down to 8.0% fat, usually, but the regular 9% that my market sells, well, I can deal with that. Weigh out 4 ounces beef, grind a little sea salt and fresh black pepper and sprinkle a little garlic powder, if you want. Make a patty. I like to cook mine in my trusty, well-seasoned cast iron skillet. (The skillet is key, and I've even found that baking skinless chicken breast nuggets in it with a tiny amount of oil pan-fries the nuggets and satisfy my wing craving once I cover them in Frank's hot sauce). The cast iron gives meat such a wonderful flavor!

    While your burger is cooking, you can wash and cut your mushrooms. I also like to dice a bit of onion to go with it. Carmelize the onion first in another skillet, with just a tiny amount of MCT oil. After the onion starts to brown, add a couple of splashes of red wine vinegar and low-fat, low-sodium, low-sugar beef broth (you have to read labels really, really carefully with beef broth, but it is possible to find a decent broth). Put the mushrooms in and simmer.

    As your patties get close to being done (brown on each side) cover them with a lid. This is a great trick to seal in flavor and natural juices in a low-fat burger. I don't have a lid that fits my skillet perfectly, but it doesn't matter. Reduce heat just a little ... and when the burgers get to the doneness you like, throw a slice of cheese on there, if you like (just make sure it's a small slice) and re-cover to melt. Top the burger with all that messy, mushroomy and oniony goodness. Hubby likes this burger with just a dab of A-1. He can't get enough of it!

    After a particularly busy day, when I'd burned over 3,000 calories, I put a few small slices of avocado on mine instead of the cheese. OMG ... SO good!

    It won't taste exactly like Red Robin's, of course, still ... You could eat almost three of these burgers for the fat and calories in ONE Red Robin Shroom burger.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh Christy! That sounds so good and I know I would love it.

    Thank you so much for sharing that with me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are on a roll! I am finally buying a home scale today so hopefully I will have some good results to share. *hoping*

    Mushroom burgers are sooo good.

    I know what you mean about food. Argh. I think about food a LOT. Too much. And I used to think I would NEVER eat pizza again (pizza is like crack to me). But I will. IN MODERATION and NOT OFTEN. I am realizing I don't have to eat like a rabbit forever, but I will have to maintain some changes, like portions and frequency. It's a battle, for sure though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you're on the right track, Connie. I really do. Food SHOULD be enjoyed, all of it, but I think you'll find a way to enjoy it without harming your health. You're doing GREAT! I'm so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your loss is so motivating! Starting tomorrow... prayerfully with equal success! Keep being a loser :)
    xoxo - t

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought I recognized the lyrics when I read them :)

    Connie the day you make the wine and pizza the exception you will know you finally broke up with your bad boyfriend.

    I have to break some food habits too and I'm going to work on them this year. We can do it, we're strong woman! Let's do it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I love getting feedback and making new friends! Your support is much appreciated!